« Home | Good morning » | Ya ya, I can't help it!!! » | Wow, SAD! » | I hate e-mail » | Still VERY excited! » | I know, I know » | Merry New Year and Happy Christmas » | I had no choice, I HAD to Share.. » | Old Grandma Hardcore » | People. » 

Friday, January 27, 2006 

Men.

Ok, I'm going to preface this post by saying that I really do adore men. I have many many male friends who are wonderful husbands to their wives, fathers to their children, etc. etc. etc. So in general I don't do the whole "male bashing" thing. HOWEVER, there is the rare time when a man will just drive me BONKERS! Now, for those who don't know, I'm not married and as of right this moment I'm not in any kind of serious relationship. So I tend to lean a little harder on my friends (but I pride myself on giving back to them, which is why I've had these friends for the past 20 - 30 years).

So anyway, I have this friend.... ex-boyfriendish type. (We dated a few years ago, and have become close since the breakup. It's been about 5 years now.) So, we had plans to watch the football game together last Sunday. He ended up getting tickets - that cost what $500? So I couldn't afford to go with him, and more power to him. I was vaguely annoyed, but it was mostly jealousy that I couldn't go with him. So, he says "come out with us tonight, we'll have a couple of beers, you can hang out with the boys." I say "maybe". To make a long story short he says "I should know where I'm going in 20 minutes or so, I'll call you back". And ya, 2 hours later, I finally hear back from him. And by this time it's 10:00 at night. Keep in mind, I went home, and got ready to go out. All you women will understand what that means. I stripped off the jeans and t-shirt I was wearing, did my hair, my make up, picked out an appropriate "going out" outfit, all that jazz. So, after an hour and a half of sitting on my couch all prim and proper so's not to wrinkle myself. I got frustrated. I decided I wasn't going, put my sweats on, and laid on the couch like the lazy ass that I am. So when he called, he was actually SURPRISED that I was annoyed. 20 minutes vs. 2 hrs... hmm.. Then he says "I don't remember saying 20 minutes". Well, even so! It was TWO HOURS... So I got the "I'm sorry, I don't remember saying that" speech, as well as the "I don't make it a habit to let down my friends" speech, along with the "I didn't mean to upset you" speech. But not once was there an "I'm sorry" Just a plain old ordinary, I did something wrong, I'm sorry. It was all about the misunderstanding, or the skirt around, or the you're crazy I never said such a thing type, I'm sorry. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone, but WHY is it SO DIFFICULT for some people to just say "I screwed up and I'm very sorry". Why? Had he said that, it would be all over and done with. But as it stands now I'm still very annoyed by the whole thing. I also know that none of my other friends would do that to me. And I know that he wouldn't do that to one of his guy friends (obviously he didn't since he was WITH all his guy friends). So then, I wonder, am I really a "friend", or am I an ex that he can hang out with when it's convenient. That's probably over thinking it, because I am girl after all, but still. I'm not one of his hussies that he can just call when he feels like it. And I hate it when he treats me like I'm one of the 3 girls currently fighting over him. I don't want to DATE him, I dont' want to SLEEP with him, we are JUST FRIENDS. Is it just too hard for men to know the difference? Am I asking for too much from him?

Which leads me to the old question "can you really be friends with your ex"???? Or is it just that some people (not men, just people) find it too difficult to apologize when they've done something they know is wrong. Shoot, I'm wrong all the damn time, I have no problem saying "Hey, listen, I'm sorry that was my fault". (He's famous for turning the situation around, making someone else feel guilty, so that they end up apologizing to HIM - which won't happen this time around, because I literally did nothing... ).

Anyway, am I being too hard on him? Am I overthinking the whole thing? And should I quit comparing him to my other friends, the people who I haven't dated? I don't know. Big sigh about the whole thing. He's a great guy, I don't want something stupid to strain the friendship, so should I just let it go??

Help.

I have never been successful at staying friends with exes. And typically not by choice, it just isn't the same sort of relationship and the lines are blurred and it is hard to know where to draw them in the first place. Honestly, I don't blame you for trying the friend thing, and I don't think it is unreasonable for you to be peeved about him taking so long to call you, but I don't really know if that is even connected to the issue. I have guy friends that do stuff like that, simply because they don't think about things the same way we do. You are not asking too much if all you need is courtesy. That is a given. With anyone.

(And thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! The advice was good...but what the hell is a parka!? LOL)

You had every right to be annoyed! But, like I tell my daughter...what you were dealing with is "dumb guy stuff"!

Guys CAN be dumb for sure.. but I'm an equal opportunity kind of gal, so us girls can be a little umm, "sensitive". ;o)

And like I said, he's probably WAY over it by now. LOL MEN!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Siesh
  • From Washington, United States
  • What do you want me to be? Just kidding! I'm not a hooker for cripes sake. (Don't judge me because I don't know shit about html... oh never mind, judge me if you must, I can take it.)
My profile

Sites and/or Blogs I Find Remotely Entertaining

  • Blogger Templates
  • Google News
  • Old Grandma HardCore
  • Gigglechick.com
  • Slightly Drunk.com
  • Spaceface.com
  • Happy Bunny
  • Visit JimGaffigan.com

    Powered by Blogger

    Technorati search

    Powered by Blogger
    and Blogger Templates